- Lamb is a prime source of high-quality protein, vitamins, and minerals. As with other red meats, its protein is nutritionally complete, with all eight essential amino acids in the proper ratios. A 3-ounce serving of lamb provides 43 percent of an adult male’s recommended daily allowance (RDA) of protein. Lamb is high in B vitamins, zinc, and iron. Red meats, especially lamb and beef, are amongst the best sources of absorbable iron (heme iron). For those watching their carbohydrate intake, lamb has zero carbs.
- Compared to other meats, lamb contains very little marbling (fat in the meat). Since lamb fat is on the edges of the meat, it is easily trimmed off, which means fewer calories, only 175 in an average 3-ounce serving or 7 percent of the average daily caloric intake recommended for a 23 to 50-year old male. Only about 36 percent of the fat in lamb is saturated fat. The rest is mono or polyunsaturated fat, the “good” fat in one’s diet.
- At Lime Kiln Farm we have a 250+ growing flock of White Dorper sheep. We have chosen this breed of sheep for many reasons. First of all because they are highly adaptable and do well in harsh, extensive conditions as well as in more intensive operations.
- Also they have excellent Maternal Qualities: Ewes are excellent mothers and heavy milkers, on top lambs are vigorous and have high survivability.
- Dorpers are non-seasonal or have an extended breeding season. They can easily be managed to produce three lamb crops in two years.
- Dorpers are also very fertile and prolific. Lambing rates of 180% can be achieved per lambing.
- They also are non-selective grazers, converting a wide range of forage types and excelling in grazing or weed control operations.
- Finally, because of their Persian origin, Dorpers have natural tolerance to high temperatures and heavy insect populations. They are productive in areas where other breeds barely survive.
- Olive oil is widely recognised as one of the world’s healthiest oils.
- In fact, people tend to live longer and healthier lives in regions where olive oil is a staple part of the diet.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) is the highest quality olive oil available, extracted from the olive fruit without the use of any heat or chemicals.
- In 2019 we have purchased Frantoio Ravagni a traditional stone olive press in Anghiari, Tuscany, where we started our farming activity. Soon we will proudly offer our olive olive products to the North-American market.